Being Proactively Catholic - Expect Change

Being Proactively Catholic - Expect Change

Being Blown Around by the Winds of the World

I remember when I was in high school and my early college years, I would go to Steubenville conferences, retreats, and mission trips. I would hear about finding my identity as a child of God and being loved into existence. I was in love with the idea of building God's kingdom and I would be completely on fire... for about a week or so.

Me, when I try to handle the winds
 of the world without God



Right after these mountain-top experiences, I would always feel like there's nothing more important than my relationship with God. Then a few months down the line, I would find myself caught up worrying about a million things again. 

When I became more involved at John Paul II University Parish, it was a lot easier to keep the flame of faith burning. I was surrounded by people who were consistently praying, attending mass, studying scripture, and really sharing life together. This was always great... until I would go home for the summer and lose all support.

Somehow, I would inevitably be convinced by the world that other things need to be my number one priority. Being the funniest kid in the room, obsessing about fashion to get people will like me, going to wild music festivals, you name it.

Eventually, something in my life would wake me to reality again, and I'd wonder how I ever forgot about the love of God in the first place. 

My faith life was completely dependent on my environment and I was baffled. How was it possible for me to pray so fervently at times but to completely forget about God at others? 

I often doubted myself, thinking, "Maybe it was just an emotional phase. Maybe that wasn't real life." I've since learned that I need to shut that down immediately. This voice is not God's. God's voice is specific and good. 

My spiritual director, a Jesuit priest, teaches me about Ignatian Spirituality (find more here). 
One of the most important rules is to never go back on decisions you make in consolation. Whenever I'm in Denton and I'm with community at JPII, I often have strong resolve to carry the consistency of prayer into my daily routine at home. Then - maybe as you are experiencing now - I go back home or life changes and the resolve shakes or falls apart completely.

Though I still struggle with buying into the lies, God has revealed to me two crucial truths:
1. Change is inevitable.
2. The only way to manage the chaos of life is to not. You give control to God and He manages your life.

One of the most powerful ways to be proactive about the future is to accept that we have limited control. Of course, we can do our part - and God calls us to - but we need to recognize that there will be many storms in life. God, in His Divine Providence, will provide us what we need to flourish. 

I think most people are familiar with Psalm 23 and how the Good Shepherd will always guide and lead us to still waters. There are a few parts that we usually forget as humans: we aren't the one leading, and sometimes there is a dark valley of the shadow of death that we are led through. 

Being apart from community is a real change we often underestimate. Going home is a real challenge, but we can get through it together.

Let's do our part by intentionally staying in contact with other members of the community. Are you feeling lonely or sad that no one is reaching out to you? There are probably other people feeling the exact same way! Reach out to the friends you met at community night or in your bible study. It will help them and it will help you! 

"Therefore, gird up the loins of your mind, live soberly, and set your hopes completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ."
1 Peter 1:13

Though "girding up the loins of our mind" sounds comical, we need to intentionally set our minds on Christ when we experience change. 

Are there any plans for your spiritual life that have fallen apart already?

What is keeping you from trying to pick it up again?


What is one action you can take RIGHT NOW to reset your hopes on Christ?





Keep praying my friends,
Samuel Macaraeg

Comments

Post a Comment